The building of the Military Academy was erected between 1853 and 1856 for the needs of the Military Institute within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Military Academy was at that time the biggest building of this kind in Austria, and the first large and qualitative historic building in the city of Maribor.
The General Staff of the Slovenian Armed Forces decided in 2002, as a result of development, historical and cultural reasons, to carry out the renewal of the Military Academy in Maribor. The total area of the renewed building, placed between the streets Cesta proletarskih brigad in the south, Radvanjska cesta in the east and Engelsova cesta in the west, amounts to 17.600 square meters.
The renewed Military Academy houses the Doctrine and Development Centre, Officer Candidate School, Command and Staff School, Military Museum, Library and Information Centre, and Command and Military Logistic Division. The planning of the illumination concept complemented the considerations about the preservation of the exterior image of the building, the staircases, hallways and the representative areas in the sense of cultural and monumental heritage protection.
Thus hallways and staircases are illuminated by recessed downlights Lunis, the representative areas by downlights with circular lamps Lunis R. The illumination of the working areas – offices – tries to approximate to natural lighting as much as possible, therefore surface and recessed ceiling mounting luminaries Quadrature® with microprismatic technology ELDACON® were chosen.
The lighting of the facade and the inner environment of the building was designed with several lighting instruments and in accordance with environmental demands. For the frontal façade illumination asymmetrical beam floodlights SiCOMPACT® A2 MIDI were chosen, a nice accentuation ensures the additional illumination of windows, which are the architectural characteristic of the Military Academy. The inner surrounding of the Kadetnica complex is illuminated by decorative outdoor luminaries Fantasie.